Thursday, January 13, 2011

Homemade Sausage

I had such a fantastic adventure making sausage this week. I had decided to try to make some homemade because I realized that every time we had sausage for dinner, I spent the next two days with a migraine.

This recipe I found in a fantastic book called "The Little House Cookbook" which is recipes from the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. It's a really fantastic book, just in case you want to know how to make things from scratch.

Homemade Country Sausage
2 lb ground pork (lean)
1 lb ground beef (not so lean)
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 Tbsp dried sage, crumbled

In large bowl, combine ingredients by hand, until mixed through. Divide into three 1-lb logs and wrap in wax paper. Let sit in fridge for 1 hour before using. If putting in freezer, wrap also in heavy foil. Cook over medium heat.

Spencer was really suprised when he tasted this recipe. He said, "It tastes like sausage." Well, yeah, it's supposed to. And without all of those nasty, headache forming nitrates and nitrites.

1 comment:

Craig said...

I personally love nitrates! I take a nitrate supplement (Urea) every night before bed. It really helps me with my "vegetative state". Ha!