Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Say Cheese!

I want to introduce everyone to the newest member of our family...Gracias the Chicken. I copied the pattern from Grandma's own chicken that is a family legend. I know that everyone in my family is jealous. I can just feel it. Gracias was a lot of work, but he is well worth it. Now my rolls have a place to roost and stay warm. The kids are super excited for Thanksgiving tomorrow so that we can try him out. Today, in celebration of the first day of Thanksgiving vacation, we took a day trip to the Ashe County Cheese Factory in North Carolina. Ahh, we thought it would be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, we underestimated the roads between here and there. Let's compare it to riding a two hour roller-coaster with no relief and only a small (and I mean 'small'!) shoulder betwixt us and death by ravine.
This photo (above) is how Spencer and I felt the whole way...aka...BARFFFFF!!!!!

Apparently they grow Christmas trees in the hills of North Carolina. Who knew? The kids were ecstatic to find this gem tidbit of information.

Here we are enjoying the cheese making process. This little room makes 40,000 lbs. of cheese a week. We saw them stirring the milky, bacterial concoction, mold some wheels, sqeeze them and remove them to the fridge. I especially enjoyed the cow-inspired benches.

Happy troopers! And the only time everyone sat still...sort of.

Inside the cheese store. No one could keep their hands off. And miracle of miracles, everyone liked cheese curds, which I adore because they take me back to my childhood. Who wouldn't like squeaky cheese? It was a fun day and one that the children will probably be talking about for a long time. Which is good, because I don't think I can handle driving there again anytime soon. Barf!

No comments: