Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Sushi

We had the opportunity to go to a sushi making class here on base. The teachers were two grandmas who own a sushi restaurant in town, very cute and very nice. Not so much English though. I think that we were all very brave to try such an adventure.

Mom, myself and the teacher working on our ingredients. She used chopsticks for everything! I'm very impressed, my chopstick prowess is not quite up to par.

I learned how to roll sushi. I, of course, made only vegetarian sushi, but it turned out really well for my first time ever.

These are the fruit of our labors. Dad and I made a lot of these, Michelle and Mom just took pictures and notes and acted like they were excited to be there.

My first bite of sushi! This bite hovered by my mouth for probably 10 minutes while I tried to talk myself into it.

This is after I popped it in my mouth. I'm not sure what kind of a face this is, but let me tell you, it is not my 'favorite food' face.

Some of the other students made these sashimi items. Just so you know, it is a ball of rice with a piece of raw salmon draped over it. I decided that I couldn't go to Japan without trying raw fish. I don't know what I was thinking...but I popped it in my mouth. And it wanted to pop right back out. I almost died. I think that is the longest, grossest mouthful that I've ever chewed.

On a side note, we also tried a noodle soup which we all tried before she told us the seasonings were white wine, sake, and other seasonings. Oops. We were flying high. I think the best word of wisdom of the night was "When you go to eat sushi, don't ask what it is...just try it." And now I can say, I've fully embraced Japan in all of it's rawfishyness.


1 comment:

Heidi said...

It looks like it was fun to make it, but you are so brave to eat it! Good work with the chopsticks too;)